Saturday 8 February 2014

Caving and Art...

Oh my goodness...it's February! Where has the summer gone?? Lately, we have been pretty busy with TWO public holidays (love it!), BBQs, weekend adventures, and trying to enjoy as much as the sunshine as possible. The cloudy, rainy, cold weather will be here before we know it...sorry to be such a Debbie Downer :(

Ben and I heard from a friend about Friday nights down at Bethells Beach with live music, food, the beach...so we decided to head over after school on Friday and give it a go. Well...as luck would have it, it was raining by the time we got there so everything was cancelled. But, seeing as we'd never been before, we decided to brave the rain and explore! Down the beach there was this HUGE, awesome cave as well as tons of other smaller caves all around. We were also talking to someone last night who told us about another cave down at the other end of the beach we didn't explore. Must go back...when it's sunny!


 View from the inside looking out.


Yep, that's about as far in as I went...you can see Ben wandering a little farther back...I was too scared!


It was really cool! I'd definitely love to go back with my flashlight/torch next time!

On Saturday, I went with a friend to experience the Matakana markets (YUM!) as well as the Brick Bay Sculpture Trail. No pictures from the markets but those would just be of me eating so...no need :) The sculpture trail on the other hand was worth the drive! Here is my favorite:


From what I could understand of the informational leaflet, this sculpture was supposed to represent that art could be anything, so this artist created crumpled paper out of iron. There was another "piece of paper" down the hill a bit but I just loved the colors of all the pieces.

PAUSE My computer must have switched over to British spelling at some point because it is now telling me that I'm spelling favorite and colors wrong!!!!! I definitely did not change that... UNPAUSE

Another cool "sculpture" involved a trek called the Kauri Climb where you climbed up some steps and rang bells along the way. At the top, there were [what I would call] ear trumpets and they magnified all the tiny, detailed sounds of the forest! It was very interesting!


It was a beautiful day to hang out in a vineyard and explore some art! I even tried some of the grapes...SHH...don't tell! They did not taste like wine...


It has been a fun and busy weekend! Can't wait to see what Ben has up his sleeve for Valentine's Day....haha! Good joke Libbi.. 

love,
the webers



0 comments:

Post a Comment