Friday 2 November 2012

It's Book Review Time!

A couple weeks ago, I posted a list of books that are on my "to read" list. Well, I finished one of them! I was so excited to read this book because it was on several "must read" book lists that I've found, one in particular labeled "Books Every Girl in Here 20s Must Read"! So, I got hubby to find it online and download it to my Kindle so I could read on my morning/afternoon bus rides.  


I would like to be able to say that I loved it and would recommend it to everyone...but I can't :( It was a quick read, entertaining for my bus rides, and relatable but it didn't make me think and it definitely didn't make me want to go out and buy all of Jennifer Close's other books (unlike all my other faves :) The story was about a group of girl friend's as they travel through their lives from college to marriage, kids, etc. The plot was a little jumpy, each chapter started or continued the story of a girl, and the many characters were hard to remember. It's hard to get into a story if you are continually looking back to try and remember what happened previously with this chapter's particular character. There were three reoccurring "main" characters that I definitely wanted to continue reading to see what became of them but everyone else just kind of blurred together. 

The biggest thing that I disliked about this book was the girl's descriptions of their significant others. They made it sound like you need to "settle" for a man the older you get. They end up with men simply because they are tired of looking and they can stand being around this or that particular person. One of the characters, Isabella, even goes so far as to state that she "hates" her boyfriend but she'll move with him to Boston because she would rather be around him than without him. I feel like this is a very sad way of looking at relationships and I definitely wouldn't want to endorse this with "Every Girl in Her 20s." 

Final Note: Don't read it. There are so many better books out there. 


Next on my list is "Novel About My Wife" by Emily Perkins. I'm reading this one for book club this month but I was in charge of picking so I am excited to see how it turns out! 

PS-I just realized that both of these books covers look similar. Weird. 

Adios!

0 comments:

Post a Comment